I bought these beautiful vegan buttermilk biscuits and needed something to make with these. This is my first foray into gravy and as a North Jersey girl this might not be traditional, but the sauce was thick and delicious. You can definitely taste the coffee flavor on this one, which I love for breakfast. I didn’t have mushrooms, but if you do you might want to add that on! This makes a large pot of gravy. At least enough for 6 large size biscuits. You can make your own biscuits of course, but I like supporting local business where I can!
· 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter (I used Melt)
· 1 cup of cashews soaked in water overnight, rinsed and drained. Note: If you forgot to soak your nuts, boil in a small saucepan for 10 minutes.
· 1/4 cup, plus 1 Tablespoon of water
· 2/3 cup of espresso coffee
· 1 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour
· ¾ cup of canned lite coconut milk
· Pinch of cayenne pepper
· 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, chopped
· 1 teaspoon of sea salt
· ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
· Additional salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the cashews with the water to a blender and combine until it forms a thick paste. The nuts might be a little chunky still. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter over medium low heat in a large skillet.
3. Add in the flour and whisk continuously to make a roux. Cook until the flour is completely dissolved in the butter, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the espresso and cook together for a minute or two. Whisking the whole time.
5. Add in the cashew paste. Keep whisking together for another few minutes. Add in the spices next to combine.
6. Slowly add in the coconut milk, a ¼ cup at a time. Keep whisking until the gravy starts to thicken.
7. Let the gravy cook another 3-4 minutes until fully thickened. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve over your favorite biscuits!