Makes enough 2 dinner size portions or 4 as a side dish
· 1 bunch of broccoli rabe, washed well with the tough bottom stems chopped off
· 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large cubes
· ½ cup of hot water, save reserved broccoli rabe liquid
· 4 Tbp of extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 small head of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
· 2 Tbp fresh parley chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
· 2 Tbp fresh basil chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
· 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
· ½ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
· Optional ½ tsp of adobo seasoning
1. Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and potatoes. Cook until soft and tender, about 15 minutes.
2. When the broccoli pot is about done, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes until browned, but not burned.
3. Using tongs add in the cooked greens to the garlic skillet. Stir.
4. Scoop up the potatoes and add them to the skillet.
5. Add in the remaining seasonings and the reserved broth water. Stir together.
6. Lower the heat to low and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
7. The flavors should meld together nicely at this point. Serve with a side of crusty Italian bread to sop up the broth.