Updated: Nov 18, 2019
· 16 oz. bag of brussels sprouts
· 3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
· 1 lemon – zested
· ¾ cup of chopped walnuts
· ½ cup of vegan parmesan cheese (You can use store bought but it’s pretty easy to make. See recipe below.)
· Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 370°.
2. Separate all the leaves from the brussels sprouts. This part takes forever and will leave you wanting to give up. Trust me it is worth it! People who HATE brussels sprouts love this when I make it. Stick with it. I use a small paring knife to get into the center of the sprout. See my tutorial below for more.
3. In a large plastic Ziplock bag place the sprouts, lemon zest, walnuts, parmesan cheese. Toss together in the bag. Add in the EVOO and toss together till the leaves are all coated. Add salt and pepper to taste and shake again.
4. Bake on a cookie sheet for about 12 minutes or until the edges are brown and crispy.
5. Serve warm with lemon wedges if desired.
Note: I usually double this because it goes quick on the holiday, but I don’t know your life. Italians and Argentines can EAT!
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
· 1 cup of raw unsalted almonds (or cashews)
· 1 cup of nutritional yeast
· ½ teaspoon salt
1. Place the nuts into a food processor and grind till fine.
2. Add the yeast and salt; pulse till combined.
You can store the leftovers in a jar in the fridge for at least a week. Some believe it’s better with cashews over the almonds. I say use what you have available.