Updated: Apr 5, 2020
This is one of my favorite quick and easy lunches to make. This makes 2 generous size sandwiches. I serve with potato chips on the side, but of course you could go healthier and do a side salad or fruit.
· 1 small zucchini unpeeled, about 1 generous cup shredded (see below)
· 1 scallion, finely chopped
· 1 vegan egg (I used Neat egg)
· ¼ cup vegan Parmesan cheese
· ¼ cup chickpea flour
· ½ cup quality Italian style breadcrumbs (I recommend Whole Foods 365)
· Kosher salt and pepper to taste
· 1 Tablespoon of unsweetened, plain rice milk
· 2 slices of Vegan smoked provolone cheese (this works well with other flavors of cheese too; I used Violife Just Like Provolone cheese)
· 2 Tablespoon of olive oil
· 1 multigrain mini baguette, cut in half
1. To shred the zucchini, cut zucchini lengthwise and then in half. Use the large hole side of a box grater and use a circular motion to grate. Then take a dry, clean kitchen towel and squeeze out all the liquid of the zucchini.
2. In a medium size bowl, add together zucchini, scallion, breadcrumbs, egg, cheese, and chickpea flour. Mix together with your hands until the mixture just starts to come together. Add rice milk, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and form into 2 large patties to fit the size of your baguette. Note: If the mixture is too dry, carefully add a touch more rice milk.
3. Heat a medium size fry pan with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties and fry on both sides until golden brown.
4. Slice the baguette in half and add the zucchini patty. Top with the cheese.
Note: You can top with lettuce, tomato should you so desire.